Tuesday, November 18, 2008

my sister hasn't been feeling too good the last couple days, so today, i took hyde and hattie with some other little friends to the shanghai zoo! it happens to be like right next door to us, so it's an easier, fun thing to do. and the sun is out today, except it's very deceiving since it is FREEZING outside. there's quite a wind, and it is not as warm as it looks. but we still had a good time. mostly there's monkeys and fish and elephants. at least that's where we spent all our time. the poor animals do not have very good living conditions, though. i'm pretty sure the monkeys were freezing as well, with nothing but cement cages with bark in the bottom. there were some actually like glued to the walls, all scrunched up, trying to get warm. or at least that's what it looked like. they should at least have some sun in there! it was kinda sad. then we went to the elephant show! it was actually way cool. they teach those giant things some pretty cool tricks. we sat on the front row, which was a bit too close for hyde...he went back about 5 rows and sat there to watch ha. hattie insisted on sitting on my lap since they were so close, but after awhile, she was laughing and loving it. and now for the best part (k it might not be that cool for some of you, but it was my first time, so deal!) you could pay 30 RMB, which is roughly $4, and take a ride on one! haha it was awesome.
i'm sure i looked like a fool up there, but that's ok. and i did get an actual video, but i'm struggling with making it work, so for now, you get pics!

7 comments:

mary plus vince said...

ack, i think i would be so scared to rid one! but i guess... how often do you really get a chance like that back in the states... way cool ma.

wish i could help with the video... i am not sure why it takes like 5 years to load sometimes. dang blogger. did you try uploading it to youtube first?

{Rollins Family} said...

why can't we ride elephants at our zoo?!?! LAME!!

Kami (tayo) said...

Sounds like you are having some fun adventures!! Love the elephant ride! Thought you would get a kick out of this...I went to work the other day and Shari J. said she had heard in the breakroom that I am going through a divorce. I just bust out laughing!! She wouldn't tell me who said it, but atleast she came and asked me. How does crap like that even get started?!? Kind of funny! Glad you're having a great time!

Anonymous said...

That's super cool!

Susan said...

WaWa! It was soooo good to talk to you today. It made my day. I really miss you. Thank you for calling. I'm glad you are having a good time. Weird that you are being social and doing stuff on your own. I would be so scared to leave the house without Anne or Jerod. You are braver than me. I hope things are going well and that you are learning and growing. Give Anne a big hug from me. I miss my sisters. Why does China have to be so far away?? I love you so much Mar and can't wait to see you in January. Thanks for the pictures. P.S. Those ones of you at the top of your blog are beautiful! Look at my little sis all grown up. :) Take care and be safe. I love you so much. Susan

LeeAnn said...

What a great adventure, keep having fun.

Torrie said...

AAAGGGH!! Jealousy! I wanna ride on the big elephant! *pout*